Personal, social and health education (PSHE) is a compulsory subject that aims to develop pupils’ knowledge, skills and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe, and prepared for life and work. At Newhall Park, we aim to provide this and give all pupils a view of how the world works outside the classroom, and how to put the skills they learn into practice.
Our PSHE curriculum has been designed to offer learning opportunities and experiences which reflect pupils’ increasing independence and physical and social awareness. It builds on the skills that pupils began to acquire during the Early Years Foundation stage to develop effective relationships, assume greater personal responsibility and manage personal safety, including online. Our aims in teaching PSHE include:
- Develop an understanding how exercise, balanced diets and emotional well-being are all part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Learn about effective decision making, assessing risks and understanding how their decisions may have a positive and negative impact on others.
- Understanding how to appropriately communicate with others through learning about different communication styles, negotiation and conflict resolution in different contexts.
- Understanding their rights and responsibilities, including the UN rights of the child, learn about human rights and instill a sense of respect toward other human beings.
- Developing a healthy mind and understand how to deal positively with modern day challenges of technology and life.
- Investigating themes around boundaries, relationships, gender and viewpoint and learn how to respect those opinions that may be different from their own.
- Understanding the value of money, resources and how to develop entrepreneurial skills while learning how to reframe from failure, build on success and think about the future.
- Understand diversity and prejudice as British and Global citizens.
- Promoting the basic British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance for those of different faiths and beliefs.